Tuesday 19 July 2011

Raptor heaven at Deadmans Hill and Therfield

Late last night a quick decision to visit an area which is relatively close by but I had not visited.

As I decided at midnight to leave at 4.45am I thought it a bit late to ring Dave!

I arrived at Deadmans Hill near Sandon at 5.30 and immediately heard a singing Quail - a lifer for me!

The morning was bright and sunny and as I climbed the hill I got great views of Linnet and Corn Bunting.




A fleeting glance of a Quail scurrying into the grass was the best view I had but there were hundreds of hares and rabbits so further searching was fruitless.

Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Whitethroat and Yellowhammer all showed well until finally I took a breather at the top of the hill.

I was glad I did as, within a minute, a stunning female Hen Harrier flew over the valley below finally settling in a tree some half mile away. Too far to get a photo but magical nevertheless.

On my way home I saw the sign for Therfield and had seen reports from this area on Bird Alert so made a quick detour.

I parked up and followed a footpath adjacent to lovely heathland. Surprisingly, little showed and it was very wet underfoot so headed back to the car. Just as I was about to get into the car I caught a glimpse of a large bird in a tree on the other side of a small valley.

Grabbing my binoculars I saw to my amazement a male adult Red Kite and further scanning found a juvenile too.

I tried everything to get nearer but the valley was fenced in barbed wire and I just could not get closer.

Still, a fantastic end to a super mornings bird watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment