Friday 7 October 2011

Work trip to Fuerteventura

In my role as a Sales Director to a travel company I am sometimes required to visit hotels.

On Monday 3rd October I had to go to Fuerteventura and stayed at the Sheraton there.

I did not arrive until dark and had business meetings most of the next day. However, I managed a couple of hours birding on the Tuesday and nearly five hours on the Wednesday before my return flight.

Flying Ryanair meant no hold luggage and limited hand luggage so I had space for my binos and a my superzoom compact. It is always with regret I cannot take my scope but better than not taking anything!

The hotel is right on the beash with scrubland to both sides and a golf course to the rear.

It does not get light until nearly 8am so I managed about an hour before getting ready for my meetings.

Walking through the gardens of the hotel I caught a glimpse of something I had not seen before. A closer look gave me the endemic Fuerteventura Chat - my main target bird. This used to be called the Canary Island Chat but since it became extinct in its only other location - Lanzarote - it has been renamed. Sadly. low light and the male bird fluttering in and out of foliage provided me with nothing more than a shaky record shot too poor to show but a really good start.

Walking down to the beach there were a number of rock pools to the side. This gave me Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Whimbrel and my first ever Kentish Plover but I was in the open here so could not get great photos but still a pleasing view.

I had already run very short of time so walked back to the hotel. The gardens were seperated from the beach path by wooden railings which meant you could peak through them at the lawns and bushes within.

A gap in the hedge gave me great views of Hoopoe, Yellow Wagtail (blue headed morph) and my first Berthelot's Pipit. There was enough light and birds were close enough to get a few pics.



Looking at my watch I now realised I had 40 minutes to get breakfast, shower and be at my meeting so did not give more than a glance at the Swifts flying over, the Robin singing or the numerous Collared Doves.

Five hours later and a successful meeting concluded I was able to get out for some late afternoon birding.

This time I ignored the beach area and walked to the Golf Club. There is very little inland water at this time of year so hoped I might pick up a few birds around the water features.

My first bird was a Pied Flycatcher which is a lifer for me so was very excited. Little did I know that I was to see loads in the next 24 hours! Also near the entrance was a scrubby area and this gave me a small group of Trumpeter Finches - another lifer and all within 2 minutes. I got a record shot of a female but it was hazy and the Pied Fly would not stay still!

As I entered the Golf Course I caught sight of two Ravens sitting in the shade. A crappy photo later (they took off as soon as they saw me) and I made my way to the man made lakes. By the mesh fence I also saw an beautiful day flying moth (again saw loads over the course of the visit) which Jono helpfully identified as a Crimson Speckled.


By now there were a number of Pied Flys but could not get a decent photo - the two best below!


My walk continued and looking at some distance to a lone tree gave me my first ever Wryneck! I could not get too close and as golfers were approaching took a quick photo but a real thrill for me!


I eventually found the water feature and was surprised at how little there was! A Ruddy Shelduck was the highlight but only Mallard and some hybrid Muscovy Ducks showed.

Nearing the exit I saw numerous Spanish Sparrows with House Sparrows and Canary Chiffchaffs were everywhere.


A great few hours so back to the hotel and a couple of beers and quiet dinner. I decided on an early night as I had the whole of the next day until 3pm.

So, Wednesday I was up at 7am and had an enormous breakfast on the basis this was my last free meal at the hotel and decided to walk along the coast to a tiny hamlet called Las Salinas which produces salt for the island. The walk was open with sea and rocks to one side and a massive expanse of scrub to the other. It was 31 degrees and I had no sun protection.

The scrub provided a Tawny Pipit (another first) and distant views of two Grey Heron.


On the rocks were Sanderling, Little Egret and Grey Plover along with numerous Yellow Legged Gulls (or simply Gulls as Dave would call them!)

After a long walk I finally got to the salt pools and there were just three waders. A Ringed Plover and two others with decurved bill. They were quite different in size and one had a much longer bill. I was sure the smaller was a Curlew Sandpiper but unsure of the other. I sent the photos to Jono who thought they may both be Curlew Sands but it was a possibility that the larger was a Stilt Sandpiper. I am currently investigating but have posted both photos below.

I then noticed a scurrying out of the corner of my eye and saw a Chipmunk on a wall followed by a huge Monarch butterfly. I was torn but took a quick shop of the rodent before finally getting a resting shot of the Monarch - a wonderful sight!


I made my way back to the hotel and just as I neared civilisation saw a small barranco (stream or gully) which had a little water. This was real find as it gave me Pied Wagtail, a large Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper and a Spotted Flycatcher.

Finally I took the time to look through the wooden fence surrounding the hotel garden and was really glad I did! Apart from more Yellow Wags, Berthelot's Pipits and Hoopoe I saw a Winchat, a female Red Throated Pipit (another lifer!) and a lovely male Redstart.
Inside the hotel grounds I was just about to put my camera away when I glanced a pretty dragonfly which is not an area of expertise for me but Jono has identified at a Red Veined Darter.
All in all a great few hours birding. I love my job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment