Wednesday 10 June 2015

Saturday day out

Sophie was helping Jen at Holme on Saturday but only for a couple of hours.

I agreed to pick her up so, left at the same time and was at Titchwell by 8.45.

The reserve itself was quiet with only the usual waders and ducks though the Little Gulls were still on the freshmarsh.

However, sea watching was excellent with numerous Common, Sandwich and Little Terns, Gannets feeding and, even though the seas was choppy, the tide was in. This gave me excellent views of a pair of Razorbills - year lister for me.

I made my way to Holme and had a bacon roll and coffee but Jen was really busy and Sophie wanted to stay for another hour to help out further so I took a stroll. Apart from numerous Whitethroat, this too was quiet.


Butterflies were better with Wall Brown, Orange Tip, Common Blue and Painted Lady with the latter two giving decent views.



After dropping Sophie home and having a quick coffee I decided to try Sculthorpe which is only 10 minutes away from me.

I paid my 'voluntary' £4 and walked the complete reserve. I must say how enjoyable it was. Paths and cleverly positioned feeders made woodland watching easier and I got excellent vies of Bullfinch and fleeting views (obstructed sometimes-see photo!


In fact part of my reason for visiting was to add some common birds such as Nuthatch and Great Spotted Woodpecker to my year list - yet they eluded me there too! It seems strange to have Citril Finch yet not have these!!

The reserve opens out to fen and a narrow stretch of the Wensum. Only the normal ducks, nesting Lapwing and loads of Reed Bunting here but pleasant nevertheless. Walking back, I just entered the woods when a brown flash shot by and perched. Good views of a Spotted Flycatcher.
A very nice reserve and one I will revisit regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment