Thursday 15 October 2015

Work Trip to Mallorca

Unusually, I was able to take Jen on this 3 night trip.

We stayed in Alcudia and apart from the first full morning, most of the time was our own.

After working hard Jen just wanted to chill out but I had heard of nature reserve very close to the town.

We had hired a car anyway and I found that the reserve was call S'Albufera and was 6 miles away.

After my hotel inspection I asked Jen if she wanted to come with me and to my surprise she said yes!

The reserve is on the coast road from Alcudia to C'an Picafort and there is a parking area.

From here you walk along a metalled path adjacent to the wide river. After some careful examination I noticed roosting Night Herons distantly on the opposite bank tucked well into the trees.


This path is around a mile long and leads to a visitor centre. I found out that the reserve is only open between 9am and 5pm which is crazy for birders but they were really helpful and provided maps of the reserve.

It was obvious that it was huge but to view all the main hides would be a two hour circlular walk which we took.

It is basically reed beds, freshwater lagoons and saltwater lagoons.

The potential for warblers was obvious but with a non-birder, stopping to hear birdsong amongst thick reeds was not on so I could only get Cettis, Reed and Marsh Warbler by song in passing.

The first hide was freshwater and apart from numerous Little Egret and Grey Heron, the most striking bird was Purple Galingule.



There were a fair selection of normal waders with Godwit (both types), Dunlin, Little Ringed Plover and Redshank in abundance.
However, looking at the mudflats I saw at distance a bird laying down - Stone Curlew!

Too far for decent photos but record shot below.

We walked round to the hides overlooking the saltwater lagoon.

Excellent views of Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Black Winged Stilt and Whimbrel supplemented the same waders as the other lagoon.




In the distance three Flamingoes were preening and feeding.

As we were watching these (even Jen liked them!) there was a dark shadow and a magnificent Osprey complete with fish dropped to a nearby branch and fed.

We were able to get fantastic views, easily the best I have ever experienced of this super raptor.


However, Jen was birded out by this time so we went for a couple of beers then back.

I loved it and decided I would try and wangle another hour or so the next day. It cost me a facial in the spa but I did get out for a fleeting visit.

In addition to the many birds I saw on our first visit I added Stonechat and from the Saltwater hide.


At the freshwater I added Kentish Plover, Wheatear and Red Crested Pochard




Last bird of the day was a rather lovely Wood Sandpiper which gave great views.



I had been out longer than anticipated but this was such a great reserve I could have spent hours.

Considering I did not get away from any of the main paths and with numerous routes to take, you could easily spend a couple of days doing this reserve.

In the total of 3.5 hours I had I saw 63 species of birds and heard a few others I could not identify.

I urge you to give it a visit!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like this place is worth a visit. Mid April could be very good.

    ReplyDelete