Tuesday 14 April 2015

First Lifer of the Year!

One great advantage of living in Norfolk is although I am working full time,  I can nip out after work.

Yesterday evening I dashed to Chalkpit Lane near Choseley Drying Barns as reports had come in about Dotterel in a nearby field.

As I drove up the lane I saw two other birders with scopes looking out so guessed I had the right area.

However, there was nowhere close by to park so just pulled up on the verge and watched from the car!

I knew that i would have to move if other cars arrived but fortunately got 20 minutes without this happening and got some excellent views of the 9 birds. They were distant but still managed to get some fair record shots.





Having my own celebration in the car (must have looked a bit weird!) I drove back via Burnham Market.

Birds were everywhere and loads of Buzzard, Kestrel, Red Kite and a Hen Harrier which was too distant by the time I screeched to a halt!

I did see a Warbler in the bushes as I pulled up and got a quick couple of shots but had no time to hear it sing before another car was behind and I was forced to pull away. Pretty sure it is a Chiffchaff but I do struggle with Warblers in the LBJ department!



Lastly, coming back along the back edge of the Holkham Estate I noticed an unusual Pheasant which scurried away before I could get a photo. I knew it was not one of the normal ones we see as it was almost completely blue with the standard red head. Looking on the web when i got home, it seems it was a Blue pheasant which is a variant form of the normal but still made a nice change from the thousands of normal Pheasant and Red Legged Partridge I get here daily.

Lovely day today so may even nip out after work again - keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment