Friday 10 April 2015

Norfolk at last!

It has been some time since I updated my blog all due to our big move from Hertfordshire to Norfolk!

Although we moved in March we spent every weekend before (and most of the time since) decorating. Still not finished we are getting there!

This has led to a sense of frustration in that we are in easy driving distance to a number of brilliant birding sites and until last weekend and the odd hour hre and these I have not managed to get to any of them!

The house is in a lovely rural location three miles from Wells and overlooks fields to the front.
We have a front garden which now has bird feeders and an unkempt huge rear garden. (another project yet to be started!)

As Jono will know, we have Red Kites around the house and have subsequently found they roost about a mile from the house. Other raptors seen from the comfort of my office are Kestrels, Buzzards, Marsh Harrier, Tawny Owl and a Barn Owl that visits the rear garden most mornings and on other odd times.

Having lived only in Hertfordshire, I was quite surprised at the birds i have seen so far just in the garden. We have the normal array of Tits and Finches though Tree Sparrow has been a nice addition. However, we regularly get Pheasant and Red Legged Partridge, Oystercatcher and even a pair of Brent Geese!
A pair of Pied Wagtail are nesting nearby.


Nevertheless, frustration at not getting out and about pushed me to a a quick early morning at Titchwell.

Some good birds with my first Sedge Warbler of the year, Bittern flying, Peregrine dive bombing and distant Red Crested Pochard.

There was the usual array of waders on the Fresh Marsh and Long Tailed Duck and Common Scoter on the sea.

Jen has just started work as the cafe manager at Holme Dunes so I have also popped in to see her!


Nothing special so far but she has promised to keep me posted if something drops in. She has already introduced me to the Warden so hoping I might get some early info!

I have managed a short after work walk at Warham Greens which is about the quickest area for me to visit from my home and apart from more Barn Owls and Willow Warblers, only the regular stuff. I visited last night for an hour and did not see a soul yet it was a beautiful evening. I enjoy this rather than Titchwell and Cley which do get like theme parks unless you visit early or late.

I am hoping to get out a bit more regularly now so will update this a bot more frequently than I have done!

1 comment:

  1. All very good. Shall be seeing Jen for a coffee in May.

    ReplyDelete